Saturday, October 31, 2009

Subconscious Flood

I dreamt there was a flood. I swim better than most and I was helping rescue people. I would swim out to a house and carry people lifeguard style to safety one by one. The water kept rising and I am more and more tired. My muscles are screaming, but I make myself swim out, take on the weight of another person and swim back.

I know this is going to be my last run. The water moves too fast and rises too high. I swim to where an overweight woman and her baby are chest-deep, even standing on their roof. I tell her to give me the baby. I promise her I'll be back for her. I lie.

I have no intention of coming back. I'm too exhausted. It's too dangerous now. I'll save her child, but she's going to die. But I lie to her and give her false hope so I don't have to face her realization and her sorrow. It's just easier to take the baby and deliver a weak promise.

I wake up disgusted with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment