Saturday, November 28, 2009

First Impressions - Beijing

Sunday, Nov. 15

We arrived at Beijing today. A Chinese Opera House backs right up to our hotel. I was hoping we could go to a show this first night, but they aren't performing.

My seven year old boy did great on the plane. I worried that he'd get restless, bored and start acting out. He *did* get restless and bored, but didn't act out. I'm always facinated by what people talk about once all the polite plesantries and usual topics of conversation are exhausted.

For me, I made a pointy finger with one hand then hit it with another. It swung wildly then started zeroing in like a compass. It pointed at my son and I said "Look! I've got a Favorite Boy Detector. And it works, because you're my favorite boy!"

He did the same thing, but it pointed at his mother across the aisle and behind us. I informed him that his Favorite Boy Detector was clearly misaligned because it didn't even point to a boy.

My first impression of Beijing is that people are used to waiting in lines. There's almost no line "chivalry" where one might let a woman or elderly person ahead. They don't mind separating parents keeping up with their nimble children or lovers holding hands. It's a free-for-all to get what they want from a line. I saw a bus station FULL of people with six busses lined up. The tour guide explained public transportation is good, easy to use and travels everywhere - if you get an opportunity to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment