Sunday, March 7, 2010

Not all saints were celibate


"Do we not have the right to be accompanied by a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?" 1Cor. 9:5

Mystery surrounds the wives of the "apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas." Even church tradition is strangely silent about them and their roles. More than revealing perceptions about womens' role in ministry in the early church, I want to know about human relationships with an apostle.

I'm most curious about the wife of Cephas. We know Peter as headstrong and impulsive, emotional and expressive. He was an act-before-you-think-because-doing-something-wrong-is-better-than-doing-nothing-at-all kind of guy. Like we tend to do, I'd guess his choice in a mate would have similar values ("accompanied by a believing wife") but of opposite personality. In my imagination, she is practical, reserved, deliberate and considers all forseeable outcomes before making a decision.

I understand that Scripture's primary concern is about my relationship with God and my responsiblities in that relationship, but I would have liked to see an apostolic marriage. I can hear her say:

"God isn't angry and Satan isn't attacking us; it's just bad luck."

"How can you preach about temperance and be so angry with me, you hypocrite?"

"You can't just tell them how it's got to be, try and sympathize. This is completely different for them."

"I don't want to move again. I don't make friends as easy as you."

"Just stop and think for a minute or you're going to get us both crucified!"

"Paul's not your enemy. He's only saying what he believes is right...and he might have a point."

"I love Him too. He saved my mother. But can you please forget Him for a minute and think about us?"

No comments:

Post a Comment