Monday, October 11, 2010

ohgoshwow

I've got this amazing kid I don't deserve. Recently, I've seen myself turn sardonic and a bit cutting, but my son compliments so easily. It's natural for him.

Tonight he takes his first bite of salmon and says "ohgoshwowthatsgood." He's seen me cook since he was small. I've got this masterpiece on my fridge titled "Son Helps Dad Cook" where my son is drawn a safe distance from the stove that Daddy is operating. Daddy has caught himself on fire. Flames are everywhere. Last week he suggested I should write a cookbook.

Truth is, I'm not a very good cook. But he's not really complimenting the food. He's talking about us in the environment and me providing for him and laughing and feeling protected and this moment where even the taste of lightly seasoned and overdone salmon is good.

It's humbling when children teach you things.

No comments:

Post a Comment