Sunday, December 20, 2009

Imagining Mary

“Now Mary arose and went to the hill country with haste to a city in Judah (Luke 1:39, italics added)”

I’m going to live with my cousin. She’s older and married to a priest, but he’s lost his voice so won’t be able to say anything about it. Mom says I’ve ruined my reputation in Nazareth and I’ve got to go out of town “so you don’t flaunt it.” I tried to tell her that I’m not flaunting it, I just told them about the angel so they wouldn’t think I did anything wrong. She said that’s not what she meant.

They ripped their clothes and called me a blasphemer too.

Rachel and Sarah where whispering in synagogue. They asked me if I liked it and when I told them I was visited by the Holy Spirit while I slept, they said “don’t lie, we know what you’re really like.” I tried to tell them about Gabriel and the promise and how honored I feel to be favored by God, but they just giggled and asked if it was Simon.

Daddy said I can’t come back home because I’ve shamed his household. Joseph just had eyes of inevitability. He said he wasn’t going to make a big deal about it, but Mom is right and I should go live with Elizabeth. I told him it would be alright; that God will work out the details, we just have to have faith – like the patriarchs. Joseph was hollow and told me I should go with haste.

I just felt wings like butterflies in my womb.


No comments:

Post a Comment