Monday, December 21, 2009

Imagining Joseph

"Joseph, her husband, was a just man and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to divorce her secretly (Matt. 1:19)."

I can't believe these stargazers went to Herod first. Told him they were looking for a “King of the Jews.” Now they’re here gawking at Mary's son and all of Bethlehem saw them - with their camels and gifts and strange accents and questions. Centurions will bust through that door any minute and we’ll all hang on trees. That star doesn’t help either. To get out of this one, I’ll have to move to frickin’ Egypt.

When Mary told me, I thought even she couldn't be so gullible. Poor, naïve Mary fell prey to some lecher. I could hear it all before she said it, “everything happens for a reason and God doesn’t allow anything to happen without his approval so in a way, this is God’s perfect plan.” I didn’t expect the fantasy about angels and immaculate conception – what pathetic, childish escapism.

Did she think the Nazarines would buy that concoction? They would say “oh, well in that case, we’ll make you our queen until the King is born”? She’s so idealistic and quixotic and pious; she’s lost in the world without me. But what was I going to do? I’d be the one fool who believed the lies and a cuckold too! She’d gone too far. I had to let her go, though she had nothing but her delusions and pitiful ruin.

Then I had a dream.

And people will shut their pie holes about you when they need their cabinets fixed…

No comments:

Post a Comment