Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Wudangshan



Wednesday, Nov. 18

Today we're at Wundang Mountain - the birthplace of both Taoism and Tai'chi. This temple complex suggests the kind of remote mountain temple you see in the movies. There are thousands of snowy steps up the mountain and it's altogether picturesque. Most of the temple complex was built at the same time as the Forbidden City (if nothing else, those Ming Dynasty Emperors did a lot of building) and has similar architecture.

The picture taken above was from a guardtower with the standard camera from my son's Nintendo DSi. I wish it could capture the the mountains that were surrounding the lens and the mists and the chill and the smell of evergreens mixed with incense and the wonder of the entire experience.

I was hoping to hike my way up, but it was so cold and the path so steep that the family voted to take the cable car to the highest peak. Even so, there were plenty more stairs. At one point, my son refused to climb any further and he and his mother turned back.

I continued on to the highest temple, the "Golden Palace." It's about the size of a toolshed in the U.S. and the brass gate that gave the shrine its name in antiquity has since tarnished. There was a single Taoist priest manning the altar, but my tour guide said he wasn't taking questions from tourists.

I'm not sure I believe him. For one, this is the same guide who explained the tenants of Taoism as "the Ming Emperor used Taoism to keep the poor people in their place. You must be content with your vegetables (vegetarians are not strong; they can't overthrow the government) and you have some work, so you should be happy and content." And another thing, what priest doesn't like to talk about his religion? I think the tour guide didn't want to waste his time, breath and the precious firing of neurons translating all that religious drivel.

I'm sure something humorous happened, but I've had an attitude of reverence and awe most of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment